A Brief History of WMM
Below are listed the historical highlights of our team:
- 1991 - WMM formed by Judy Goldsmith and Andy Klapper (notice we were a mixed side back then...)
- team had up to twelve dancers and three musicians
- gigs included Beltaine in the Park, Le Festival du Voyeur (this is not a typo!), St. Norbert Farmer's Market, and the Midwest Morris Ale (where we wowed Chicago with the mud wrestling
version of "Weeping Willow", and with "Darjeeling Blues" from the new tradition of Benares-on-the-Ganges)
- 1993 - Judy and Andy find tenure track jobs at the University of Kentucky - several other members move away during this time as well
- squireship taken over by Jeannie Gilbert and Colleen McCarthy
- became a women's team because after the mass exodus only three women were left!
- rehearsals were moved to the basement of Toad Hall Toys, owned by third member Ann England (yes, this is a shameless plug)
- by 1997 membership had grown to eight (more or less) dancers and one musician - rehearsals moved to Greendell Community Club in Winnipeg
- Judy and Andy now head up Squash Beetle Morris out of Lexington, KY, USA
- 2000 - Alison Campbell moves to Vancouver, BC and takes up with Tiddley Cove Morris.
- July, 2001 - Colleen McCarthy moves up to Whitehorse, YT where she's promised to start her own group. :)
previous page / next page / home